If you need to avoid corn, make your own powdered sugar (there's a recipe in the book!)
Powdered Doughnut Holes
Makes 24 doughnut holes
This is the solution for an early-morning status meeting or an allergen-free classroom treat. These muffins have that classic old-fashioned doughnut taste and are easily made in less than 30 minutes using a mini-muffin pan or doughnut hole pan.
288 grams (about 2¼ cups) Basic Flour Blend (below)
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening, softened
½ cup (110 g) organic cane sugar
1 Flaxseed Egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (measured after grinding) mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water)
¼ cup (60 ml) Hemp Milk or nondairy milk of choice
½ cup (120 g) Applesauce
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ cup (72 g) Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the cups of a mini-muffin pan or doughnut hole pan.
2. Combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar using a mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, as needed.
4. Add the flaxseed egg and blend on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla, and blend for another minute.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until well blended. The batter will be thick with some graininess.
6. Use a #40 cookie scoop or spoon to form balls of dough in tablespoon-sized portions. Dampen your hands with warm water and gently pass the dough from hand to hand until the ball is smooth. Place each ball of dough into the prepared pan. Dip the cookie scoop or spoon into warm water periodically, if the dough starts to stick.
7. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Let the doughnut holes cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
9. Just prior to serving, roll the doughnut holes in the powdered sugar to coat them on all sides or sprinkle the powdered sugar on just the tops. Store (without the powdered sugar topping) in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
To make Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Holes, sprinkle the tops of the doughnut holes with 3 tablespoons Cinnamon Sugar (page 286) prior to baking. Omit the powdered sugar.
Basic Flour Blend
306 grams brown rice flour
306 grams sorghum flour
156 grams arrowroot starch
Credit line: Recipe from The Allergy-Free Pantry: Make Your Own Staples, Snacks and More Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts, copyright © Colette Martin, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.