Over the next few weeks (and just in time for the holidays) I plan to share a few recipes from Learning to Bake Allergen-Freeand The Allergy-Free Pantry. (affiliate links)
I decided to start with a recipe for Potato Salad, because I happen to have a lot of potatoes right now due to the end of season harvest at the CSA. Perhaps you do too. Enjoy!
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Friends and neighbors will have no idea that this allergen-free version of potato salad was made without traditional mayonnaise or off-the-shelf salad dressings. Instead, Flaxseed Mayonnaise (page 99) is used to make a salad with added fiber and essential fatty acids—and that tastes marvelous! Add some blue potatoes, if you can find them.
Even though this potato salad contains no eggs or dairy, be careful not to let it sit out longer than an hour; it’s the potatoes, not the mayonnaise, that contain the bacteria that can make you sick.
10 to 12 medium Yukon Gold and Red Gold potatoes, with skins, cubed
1 teaspoon salt
About 5 cups (1200 ml) water
1 medium red onion, diced
2 tablespoons diced Dill Pickles, optional
½ cup (120 ml) Flaxseed Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place the potatoes and ½ teaspoon salt in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Lower the heat to medium and continue boiling for 10 to 15 minutes, until fork-tender but not falling apart.
3. Place the potatoes in a strainer and run cold water over them for 30 seconds to halt the cooking. Drain the potatoes well.
4. Combine the onion, pickles (if desired), flaxseed mayonnaise, herbs, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and stir to coat.
5. Cover and chill the potato salad for at least an hour before serving. It will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Credit line: Recipe from The Allergy-Free Pantry: Make Your Own Staples, Snacks and More Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts, copyright © Colette Martin, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.